Elms Environmental Education Center

Welcome to Planet Earth

  • Critter of the Month
    Critter of the Month
  • Critters of the Elms
    Critters of the Elms
  • The Native Plant Nursery
    The Native Plant Nursery
  • Our Programs
    Our Programs
  • Local Environmental Points of Interest
    Local Environmental Points of Interest
  • Overnights
    Overnights
  • Green Schools
    Green Schools

December 2015: Lions Mane Jellyfish

A Lions Many Jellyfish

 Photo by: Dan Hershman


Lions Mane Jellyfish
Cyanea capillata

Who am I?

 I am water, salt water. Okay 95% of me is water, the other 5% is me. Of course when you have no bones, no heart, no blood and no brain it is hard to say what I am, who is the me. An eating machine I suppose I am. Around the Chesapeake people call me the winter jelly because I really do not like warm water. While my tiny medusa (bell like blob) is floating around by mid December you probably won't notice me until later in the winter when I get bigger. In the Bay I can grow to about 8" across. I am a very weird creature. During late winter as an adult I can produce both eggs and sperm. Once germinated, I carry these eggs in my tentacles until they hatch, to the bottom of the water I go and deposit them on something hard. Soon they grow and form a polyp -- a squishy stalk with, eventually, a stack on pancakes (called ephyraes) on top. Think of a sea anemone or a sea cucumber -- those guys are polyps. Here I will be through the summer. While I am a polyp I can also clone myself, just in case there are not enough of me already. So there are a lot of polyp me around. But wait, when the water gets cold in late November or December the stack of pancakes at the top of my stalk will start to separate floating off as individuals like little frisbees. These pancakes, or frisbees, will grow into the adult jellyfish you know and probably don't love. I am misunderstood. Sure, I sting, but not as bad as a sea nettle! They are mean. Besides I am only in the Bay during the winter and who is swimming around the bay in the winter! By May I am gone. No worries.

Where can you find me?

 I like cold water and can be found near the north or south end of the planet. I am especially well known in the Arctic where I can grow really, really big.

What do I eat?

 I eat mostly other jellyfish, little fish and plankton.

What might eat me?

 Sea turtles. I hate sea turtles.

Cool reasons why I am the critter of the month!

  •  I hold the world record for the largest jellyfish. One of my brothers/sisters was found on a beach with a medusa seven feet across and tentacles that were over 120 feet long! Don't worry, I don't get that big in the Bay.
  • I have a lot of tentacles, up to 1200 of them.
  • and coolest of all, I eat an poop with the same hole. Gross huh? But cool too.

Search this site

Events

No event in the calendar

 Click on date to see event details or click on the "Events" menu to see a list of all events.

 

Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31

Staff Login

SMCPS Logo

St. Mary's County Public Schools

Charting a Course to Excellence

www.smcps.org

Home  | For Students | For Parents | For Teachers | Nursery | smcps.org

The Elms Environmental Education Center is the home of Environmental Education for St. Mary's County Public Schools.

Unless otherwise indicated all original content on this site is free and in the public domain.